02 January 2015

Full Circle (Thrift Shopping Edition)

My newest old new tweed...

To begin, let me say that I have missed this place. I miss sharing my thoughts on matters sartorial and other  tangential subjects however loosely related, and I miss hearing from you, O Dear Readers. What I don't miss is feeling beholden to this blog, periphery commercial interests, or for that matter the Internet in general. So without further ado, let's get back into it, as the kids say, albeit on more casual terms.Back when I announced my self imposed indefinite hiatus, I figured I would come back one way or another, I just wasn't sure how, or when. Then, a couple of weeks ago, I made an eBay purchase that was such perfect AAW fodder that I couldn't resist.

Pictured above is a massive piece of thorn proof tweed from the Andover Shop. I saw this gem listed on eBay for a mere $15. The listing had terrible photos, and stressed the "as-is' nature of the potential purchase. Given the fact that thrift shopping is always something of a gamble, and given the extremely low ante on this item, I decided there was little to lose.

Back in 2010, I found a very similar jacket at a thrift shop (of course). It was an exciting find, a real rare treat, and I wore it as often as anyone can wear a super thick English country tweed indoors in the United States in the modern times.

But I decided to sell it. Maybe it was in a fit of closet cleansing...maybe it was because I felt (as usual) that I had more clothes than decency would allow one man...maybe it was in a moment of wanting "the money" more than the jacket...or maybe it was because my then new business selling fine vintage and second hand needed the credibility that something like this would give it. I don't really remember. What I do remember is the deep pang of instant regret I felt as I taped up the box and sent it out. 

So four years later, I found what appeared to be the same jacket on eBay, for wicked cheap. When the box arrived, I vaguely recognized the name on the return address. Not only was this the same jacket, it was actually the very same one I had sold before.  

Thornproof green tweed jacket with bold orange check, via the Andover Shop, via the Salvation Army, via An Affordable Wardrobe, via eBay. The circle is complete.

16 comments:

WSTKS-FM Worldwide said...

Most excellent. . . the story and the jacket! Good to see you back by the way.

Best Regards and Happy 2015,

Hein-Ulrich von B.

Just Some Guy said...

Amazing story! Welcome back to both you and the jacket. Here's to a great 2015!

Rockcreek said...

Welcome back, my man.

For years it's puzzled me why folks leave a successful venture to try to find something else. Fishermen say, "You don't leave fish to find other fish." Even if you only visit occasionally, I'm simply glad that you're willing to go a few extra innings with us...

The offer of drinks in DC still stands.

Great-looking jacket by the way.

Best,

tjtevlin said...

Welcome back G. Great story and great jacket. Thank you for sharing all your tips and a bit of your life. I always enjoy. Best Tommy T.

Unknown said...

Glad to have you back!

Hilarious story.

bluchermoc said...

Great post, can't wait to hear what you've been up to. Really missed these stories.

Katherine said...

A truly great story, and an excellent start to 2015!

Boston Bean said...

Bentornato,Peppino!

Yankee-Whisky-Papa said...

Our friend R has a similar story with Bobby From Boston and a London bespoke jacket.

La Belle Demimondaine said...

It's a sign. I don't know what the sign is, exactly, but obviously it is a sign.

So... was the jacket in the same or similar condition as when you originally sold it? Or did the person who bought, then sold it back to you, love and wear it?

I only found your blog recently, and I am glad to see you are back!

Anonymous said...

Giuseppe, was this purchased originally at the SA on route 1 in Saugus? Was the AS tag removed? If so, I know where that tag is.

WSTKS-FM Worldwide said...

Nowhere near as exciting, but I walked into my best of two local thrift shops yesterday, and there was a J. Press grey-black herringbone tweed jacket in my size. Not a big deal, maybe, but how in the world did the jacket in question find its way to my tiny corner of the American Midwest? As the old Tootsie Pop commercial used to say, "The world may never know."

-- Heinz-Ulrich von B.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I have been a fan of your blog for years, and thanks to your influence I came THIS close to buying that jacket on ebay--I bought another Andover Shop jacket that the seller had posted at the same time, but just didn't quite pull the trigger on your thornproof one due to the disclaimers about condition.

From your pictures, it looks like the jacket would indeed have been a good purchase, but if it means more AAW, I'm so very glad I didn't click "buy it now"! Look forward to hearing about your style adventures in the New Year.

Anonymous said...

Amazing story! Welcome back to both you and the jacket. Here's to a great 2015!

Anonymous said...

The most amusing part of this story is that I know the fellow who sold this jacket (he actually lives in Andover), and he mentioned that you never bothered to leave him positive feedback, as indeed he did for you. So for the gentlemanliness you purport to embrace, you sadly forgot your own manners in your rush to 'tell the story.'

Jonny

Joe said...

Jonny,

I did indeed forget to leave feedback. Perhaps the most amusing part of the story lies in the fact that 'gentlemanly behaviour" has been reduced to feedback ratings on ebay.